My boyfriend and I thought that it would be really fun to drive (rather then fly) to Lake Tahoe last week.
The drive to Lake Tahoe can take anywhere from 8 to 9 hours.
8 to 9 hours.
That is a really really long time.
I got a lot accomplished in that 8 to 9 hours, that I would not have been able to get done otherwise. I...
- Went to the bathroom 7 times. Only at Chevron Gas Stations. I have deduced that Chevrons have the nicest bathroom facilities of all the gas station chains. Especially the ones that are in the middle of NO WHERE. Probably because they never get used...
- Thanks to the internet access on my palm pixi, I was able to diagnose myself with endometriosis.
- In lieu of my endometriosis diagnosis, I was able to conquer one of my bigger fears of infertility. If I am unable to conceive a child naturally I will either jet off to South Africa for their world renowned IVF services, or adopt one of the Jolie-Pitt children.
- Mastered the art of sunflower seeds. While I once thought this past-time was only for baseball players and readers of Sarah Palins "Going Rogue," I actually grew quite fond of it during those long hours. I must have been a gerbil in my past life.
- Told my boyfriend every story that I could ever possibly want to tell anyone. Now he knows almost everything about me. Which also means that now we have nothing to talk about. We will be like those old couples who sit in silence for hours and other people think are so sweet because they don't have to say anything to one another. When in reality, they really just don't have ANYTHING to say to each other because the lady in the relationship blabbed her mouth off for a record 8 hours straight on their way to Lake Tahoe one time and they have sat in silence ever since...
- Decided that there should be more scientific research going towards methods of driving in fog. It is really nerve wracking. Screw life on other planets...I need to figure out how to get from one side of this fog bearing lake to the other in one piece.
- Ate Carl's Jr. in front of my boyfriend. This is something that I promised myself I would never do. Why? I don't know, but I remember at one point in the beginning of our relationship thinking, "I am never going to eat Carl's Jr. in front of him." Really weird. That resolution lasted for only 3 months. Is it sad that I am actually proud of this?
- Decided that I could never live in the middle of nowhere. I need a police station, fire department and fully equipped hospital in a 5 mile radius. Not because I use these facilities often...but because I am crazy.
- Realized that an 8 to 9 hour drive to Tahoe meant an 8 to 9 hour drive back home.
My darling boyfriend and I got a book on tape for the ride home.